Not everyone needs to have teeth whitening done, but often teeth lose their natural shine and lustre over time and begin to look dingy grey or yellow, so need something done to ramp up that lovely clean colour. There are several reasons for this to happen.
- Wine, coffee and black tea and cola all have a part to play in staining teeth
- What we eat can often cause the teeth to become discoloured, especially food that has a deep blue or purplish colour, such as blueberries and mulberries
- Dental decay that may have gone unnoticed causes teeth to look black or very dark grey
- The use of certain antibiotics such as tetracycline can discolour teeth, especially when taken at a young age
- Smoking causes a yellowish/brown stain on the teeth.
These causes all affect the outside of the teeth – the enamel – so it is called extrinsic staining.