If you’re tired of cleaning that worn out old carpet and it’s way past it’s use by date, you might wat to think about installing hardwood timber flooring or laminate flooring. It all depend on the look you want to achieve in your home. There’s no doubt that timber flooring looks sleek and modern.
Before you decide, you should ask some questions to help you find the best flooring solution.
- What sort of traffic dos the are you have in mind get?
- Exactly where do you think will be the best place for flooring?
- Do you have kids and pets?
- Whаt соlоurѕ do уоu like and do you need to think about contrasts?
- What is on the floor now? Carpets or tiles?
- What’s your budget?
- Is this going to be a DIY or are you going to get the flooring supplier to do the job as well?
Let’s look at the pros and cons of timber and laminated flooring.
- You have a big range of timbers from which to choose. Jarrah, Karri, WA Blackbutt, Marri, Oak, Oregon, and Compressed Bamboo are just a few of the different types of wood.
- The wood itself comes in different grades as well. They are sorted at the factory depending on the aesthetics of each piece. Natural timber is not uniform. It has different colours and textures.
- It’s more of a challenge laying timber flooring, so using the services of a professional is a really smart move.
- There’s no doubt that timber is quite a bit more expensive than carpet and laminate flooring, so this is a long – term investment. Your timber floor is a forever purchase as opposed to carpet, which you would replace two or three times over a 30 year period.
- If your timber floor starts to look a bit old due to wear and tear, just sand it again and re-lacquer to make it look as good as new.
- For A DIYer with a bit of experience, laminate flooring is relatively easy to install. The pieces are made to click together. Mitre cuts ad joining those pieces tightly is the challenge.
- Laminate flooring is cheaper to install.
- The laminate flooring has a timber veneer over a plywood base and this makes it hard wearing. It won’t dent easily so ladies, you can still walk across the floor in your stilettos.
- Cleaning is as simple as spraying with floor cleaner and mopping with a fairly dry mop. Too much water can easily damage the timber laminate flooring.
- Much like the huge range of natural timber, laminate comes in various plank widths and you can choose just about and timber looking finish you can imagine.
As you can see, you have great choices and a couple of installation methods. Whichever way you decide to go, you can add a new dimension to your home if you install timber or laminate flooring.