In the online dating and relationships world, we sometimes get so caught up in the process that we forget the goal: getting with someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. Now, some people swear by love at first sight – there you were shopping and you tried to put the grapefruit back and clumsily knocked down the whole pyramid and sent all the golden globes bouncing, and just when you turned around…
There’s that, but some of us aren’t wired that way. Some of us have to wait for a sign from the sky. We fall in love gradually, like a season changing. How do you know when you’ve gone from “loving” to “in love with”? Here’s a few clues:
- You’re fine with any activity together, as long as it’s with your significant other. Dinner and a movie, washing the car, taking the cat to the vet, nothing wipes the goofy smile off your face.
- You make each other laugh. That’s a good sign that you’re on the same wavelength, or have at least learned each other’s sense of humor.
- You got into something just because your significant other likes it. Their favorite band, Cajun cooking, needlepoint, whatever. And you genuinely like it!
- You can tackle a difficult project together without fighting. Yeah, anybody can be pleasant on a date. Try tiling a kitchen together.
- You can instantly pick each other up when you’re down.
- You habitually give up things you like if the other person likes it too. No, really, you both love each other if the last slice of cake stays in the fridge untouched for three days.